Do you need crowns?
Restorative procedures, such as a root canal, or dental implant, need crowns to cover them. Your dentists Dr. Monica Lakatos and Michelle Matheson at Northshore Dental Associates in North Muskegon, MI, offer crowns and can share the benefits of this treatment option.
The dental prosthetic looks like a cap and is made of porcelain. Your dentist takes an impression of your teeth and sends them to a lab where custom crowns are made for you. (You're given a temporary crown in the meantime)
Crowns are also made of porcelain-fused-to-metal and porcelain with zirconia, one of the strongest ceramics. Your north Muskegon doctor can help you determine which type would work best for your situation.
Crowns are crucial for protecting exposed teeth that may be susceptible to breakage and decay. They also cover unsightly teeth. Crowns reinforce teeth to help in withstanding various degrees of pressure, meaning you can enjoy eating without the worry of damaging your tooth.
Dental crowns have other uses as well. They're used for attaching bridges, covering an almost dislodged filling and hiding stained, or discolored teeth.
Proper oral and dental care are preventative measures to keep natural teeth and crowns intact and healthy for as long as possible.
- Brush your teeth twice a day and floss before bed to remove plaque buildup.
- Get a mouth guard, or splints if you suffer from bruxism, teeth grinding, because it reduces the crown's lifespan.
- Avoid unhealthy, sugary food, like candy and soda.
- Don't bite into ice because it can damage your teeth.
- Visit your dentist twice a year for regular check-ups and professional dental cleanings.
- Drink plenty of water to wash away food debris that may get stuck between teeth.
For more information on dental crowns and what they can do for you, contact your Northshore Dental Associates dentists Dr. Monica Lakatos and Michelle Matheson in North Muskegon, MI, as soon as possible.